Systematic Evaluation and Treatment of the Hand – Nashville TN – Sep 2023
15 Education Hours
This course takes a deep dive into understanding the biomechanics of the thumb and digits, including joint, muscle and ligamentous contributions to assess and treat dysfunction commonly seen in the hand therapy clinic. Participants will learn to follow a systematic approach to identify and treat joint and soft tissue issues about the hand and gain a healthy appreciation of all of its complexity! This course gives you evaluation and treatment tools that can be used immediately in the clinic.
Target Audience: OT, COTA, PT, PTA
Educational Level: Intermediate
Our live courses are made up of lectures that are taught through audiovisual systems (Power Point / Keynote), and all course information is sent to participants before the starting day of the actual course for further review and discussion. The hands-on section is carried out through demonstration of techniques performed by the instructors, and then replicated by the participants under instructors’ supervision, guidance, and feedback. The hands-on section is evaluated by the instructors using an observable skills rubric.
- Distinguish between when it is appropriate to perform joint mobilization techniques directly to the thumb CMC joint and when it could be harmful
- Assess and treat limitations in the radial column, which can contribute to issues at the thumb carpometacarpal (CMC) joint.
- Explain the key muscles to recruit for dynamic stability of the thumb CMC joint.
- Execute an examination using the systematic approach to addressing stiffness to the hand: assessing joint mobility and addressing intrinsic versus extrinsic tightness
- Develop a comprehensive plan of care that includes interventions specifically directed to improve the MP joints, PIP joints, and DIP joints mobility that include both joint mobilization and preparatory methods as well as occupation-based interventions.
- Critique positions used for occupations that are mechanically harmful to thumb CMC osteoarthritis and justify modifying occupations to promote thumb CMC joint stability.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to verify approval in your state. Please contact us if you hold a Florida license.
For Pre-Approvals see the PDF - Continuing Education Accreditations & Approvals Requested and/or Received by Organization: PDF File
- Financial: The instructor(s) receive an honorarium for presenting this course.
- Non-financial: The instructor(s) have no relevant non-financial relationships to disclose.
- Partial credit is not available. For online courses, passing module assessments and completing the course evaluation is required to earn continuing education credit. For live courses, attendance is confirmed by signing the attendance sheet at the course; ensure name and professional license number are accurate, and initial both morning and afternoon attendance.
1215, 21st Avenue South, Nashville, Tennessee, 37232, United States
8:00 am – 6:30 pm
8:00 am – 3:00 pm