The International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine – US Fellowship in Clinical Diagnostics and Orthopedic Manual Therapy is accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association as a post-professional clinical fellowship program for physical therapists in Musculoskeletal Evaluation and Management.
The mission statement for IAOM-US Fellowship Program is based on a commitment to excellence in clinical practice and professional development. In response, the IAOM-US Fellowship Program is committed to advancing physical therapy practitioners in evidence-based clinical diagnostics and musculoskeletal care.
The International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine – US offers a fellowship program in Diagnostics and Orthopedic Manual Therapy to post graduate physical therapists; it is accredited through the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE) and the Accreditation Council on Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy Education (ACOMPTE).
- The IAOM-US Fellowship is created to guide professionals into
- Becoming leaders in neuro-musculoskeletal care through refining diagnostic and manual therapy clinical skills.
- Opportunities to develop motor control and biopsychosocial treatment skills through coursework and clinical rotations under the supervision of teaching Fellows of the Academy.
- Completion of one-on-one clinical rotations either at the mentor clinic or through synchronous virtual sessions at the fellow student clinic.
Fellowship Pre-Requisites and Application Information
The IAOM-US Orthopedic Manual Therapy Fellowship program application is now processed through a centralized application service for post-professional fellowship education program accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE) of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). The majority of fellowship education programs are participating in RF-PTCAS (Residency and Fellowship Physical Therapy Centralized Application Service) Click here to apply. This process allows physical therapist residency and fellowship applicants to use a single web-based application and one set of materials to apply to fellowship programs. You will need to create an account and generate username and password to apply.
Completed application forms, all supplemental information, and application fees must be enclosed in the application submission packet.
- IAOM-US Application fee ($150.00) Click here to complete the payment (Please note that the RF-PTCAS WebAdmit system has an additional $135.00 online application processing fee)
If you have difficulties, contact the IAOM-US at 866-426-6101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline for the IAOM-US Fellowship Program is June 1 and December 1 to the Fellowship Admission Committee of the IAOM-US. Applications are processed within the next three months and potential acceptance voted by the committee within that period.
Mission and Goals
The mission of this unique fellowship program of the International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine – US is to educate and develop expert professionals in orthopedic manual therapy, committing to:
1. Guiding the fellowship candidate to a foundation of applied and clinical sciences that serve as the basis for effective clinical expertise.
2. Providing physical therapy professionals with the opportunity to develop advanced skills and processes in the clinical diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal disorders.
3. Offering the candidates a framework for excellence in patient care in collaboration with professional members from other health care disciplines.
4. Establishing for the candidates a model for professional leadership, whereby they can serve as frontrunners in clinical management of musculoskeletal conditions and disorders.
5. Delivering to a model of mentoring, not only to serve as the foundation of their own clinical experiences, but additionally as the template for the clinical mentoring they provide to future clinicians.
6. Building within the fellowship candidates a paradigm for effective teaching, thus equipping each candidate with the tools necessary for success as an educator of patients, colleagues and the public.
7. Providing physical therapy professionals with the opportunity to acquire certification in advanced clinical practice, as well as ‘Fellow’ status with the American Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapists.
Requisites IAOM-US Fellowship Program
Estimated Costs in IAOM-US Fellowship
|Administrative fee||$ 2,950.00|
|RF-PTCAs application||$ 135.00|
|IAOM-US application fee||$ 180.00|
|IAOM Membership||$ 150.00|
|6 IAOM Courses @ $649||$ 3,894.00|
|Retake ($150 per course)|
|TTUHSC Courses||$ 7,370.00|
|Fellowship Annual Fee (January)|
|Fellowship Accreditation Site Visit (2022)|
|Fellowship Director Fee (Split income for parallel mentoring)|
|Fellowship Director Admin Fee|
|Mentoring online 1 (30 hours = 240 hours mentored patient care) Fall 2020||$ 1,500.00|
|Mentoring online 2 (30 hours = 240 hours mentored patient care) Fall 2021||$ 1,500.00|
|Clinical Rotation 1|
|Clinical Rotation 2|
If you required additional information, please download the documents below or contact us at email@example.com or 866 426 6101
IAOM-US Fellowship Graduates
IAOM-US Fellowship graduation rate: To date the IAOM-US Fellowship graduation rate is 94%
|Last Name||First Name||Graduation date|
Selected Publications from IAOM-US Fellowship Graduates
- Apte G, Nelson P, Brismée JM, Dedrick G, Justiz R 3rd, Sizer PS Jr. Chronic Female Pelvic Pain–Part 1: Clinical Pathoanatomy and Examination of the Pelvic Region. Pain Practice. 2012;12(2):88-110.
- Brismée JM, Phelps V, Sizer PS, Mauri-Stecca MV, Matthijs O, Van Paridon D. Musculoskeletal Management of the Knee. 2nd Edition, IAOM-US, Anchorage, 2022. https://www.amazon.com/Musculoskeletal-Management-Knee-Jean-Michel-Brismée/dp/B0B6XJHPSM?inf_contact_key=adc4419e4d701e86240b10e609a0d7d1680f8914173f9191b1c0223e68310bb1
- Castex P, Brismée JM, Phelps V. The Thoracic Four Syndrome: A Case Report and New Insights in Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Treatment. IAOM-US Blog; 2016 https://iaom-us.com/thoracic-four-syndrome-case-report-new-insights-pathophysiology-diagnosis-treatment/
- Denny B, Brismée JM. Manual therapy and upper quarter training in an adolescent quarterback with chronic clinically suspected thoracic outlet syndrome: A case report with 1-year follow up. International Journal of Sports and Exercise Medicine. 2022;8(2):217. https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/ijsem/international-journal-of-sports-and-exercise-medicine-ijsem-8-217.pdf?jid=ijsem
- Ennis K, Sizer PS, Sargent E, Brismée JM, Drusch A, Kapila J, Hooper TL. Abdominal Bracing Changes Lower Quarter Muscle Activity but Not Reach Distances During Active Forward Reach on an Unstable Surface. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 2021;28:391-396.
- Gerke DA, Brismée JM. First Metatarsal Stress Fracture of a Pre-adolescent Female Irish Dancer with Medial Plantar Foot Pain: A Case Report. Journal of Novel Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation. 2017;1:67-71. https://www.heighpubs.org/jnpr/pdf/jnpr-aid1009.pdf
- Hanks R, Phelps V, Brismée JM. Hip-Waist Extension Stiffness Syndrome in an Adolescent with Lumbar Disc Protrusions: A Case Report In IAOM-US Connection; 11/06/2018 – Available at https://iaom-us.com/hip-waist-extension-stiffness-syndrome-in-an-adolescent-with-lumbar-disc-protrusions-a-case-report/
- Jonely H, Brismée JM, Desai MJ, Reoli R. Chronic Sacroiliac Joint And Pelvic Girdle Dysfunction In a 35-Year-Old Nulliparous Woman Successfully Managed With Multimodal and Multidisciplinary Approach. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy. 2015;23(1):20-26.
- Jonely H, Brismée JM, Desai MJ, Phelps V, Sizer PS Jr. C4-C5 and C5-6 kyphotic kink successfully managed with a local cervical dorsoventral spinal mobilization. Clinical and Medical Reports. 2017;1(1):1-4. http://www.oatext.com/pdf/CMR-1-101.pdf
- Jonely H, Brismée JM, Lutton D. A Clinical Test for Diagnosis of Humeroradial Joint Lesions in the Presence of Lateral Elbow Pain: A Single-Case Design with Arthroscopic Confirmation. International Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2018;9:162-174. http://file.scirp.org/pdf/IJCM_2018030916220454.pdf
- Lasley RJ, Brismée JM. Delayed Diagnosis and Surgical Management for Gluteus Medius/Minimus Calcific Tendinopathy with Heterotopic Ossification: A Case Report. International Journal of Clinical Studies & Medical Case Reports. 2021;8(5):1-5. https://ijclinmedcasereports.com/pdf/IJCMCR-CR-00199.pdf
- Jonely H, Mauri-Stecca M, Sizer PS, Brismée JM, Phelps V. Musculoskeletal Management of the Ankle and Foot by IAOM-US. Anchorage, 2019. Language: English. ISBN-10: 1089196210. ISBN-13: 978-1089196211. https://www.amazon.com/Musculoskeletal-Management-Ankle-Foot-IAOM-US/dp/1089196210
- Miller K, Brismée JM. Identifying shoulder adhesive capsulitis stages in order to create an appropriate plan of care: A Case Report In IAOM-US Connection; 02/04/2020 – Available at https://iaom-us.com/identifying-shoulder-adhesive-capsulitis-stages-in-order-to-create-an-appropriate-plan-of-care-a-case-report/
- Moss R, Sizer PS, Brismée JM, James R, Sawyer S. Comparison Of A Conventional Patellofemoral Joint Exercise Program Versus A Manual Therapy Approach For Managing Atypical Anterior Knee Pain: A Prospective, Single-Subject Clinical Trial. Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy. 15(3):185-186, 2007.
- Nelson P, Apte G, Justiz R 3rd, Brismee JM, Dedrick G, Sizer PS Jr. Chronic Female Pelvic Pain–Part 2: Differential Diagnosis and Management. Pain Practice. 2012;12(2):111-41.
- Nelson PR. Pregnancy-related Pelvic Girdle Pain Presenting as Low Back Pain: A Case Report. Orthopaedic Practice. 22;3:10,153-159.
- Owens SC, Brismée JM, Pennell PN, Dedrick GS, Sizer PS, James CR. Changes In Spinal Height Following Sustained Lumbar Flexion And Extension Postures: A Clinical Measure of Intervertebral Disc Hydration Using Stadiometry. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. 2009; 32(5):358-63.
- Pape JL, Brismée JM, Gilbert KK, Grabs D, Sobczak S. Accuracy of Unguided and Ultrasound Guided Coracohumeral Ligament Infiltrations – A Feasibility Cadaveric Case Series. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2020;21(1):136. https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12891-020-3153-4
- Poorbaugh K, Brismée JM, Phelps V, Sizer PS Jr. Late Whiplash Syndrome: A Clinical Science Approach To Evidence-Based Diagnosis And Management. Pain Practice. 2008;8(1):65-87.
- Sherwin R, Brismée JM. Temporomandibular Joint Arthroplasty, Physical Therapy and Motor Control Retraining: A Case Report In IAOM-US Connection; 12/01/2018 – Available at https://iaom-us.com/temporomandibular-joint-arthroplasty-physical-therapy-and-motor-control-retraining-a-case-report/
- Smith TM, Phelps V, Brismée JM. Successful Conservative Management of an Adolescent Musician with a Rare Occurrence of True Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and Cervical Ribs: A Case Report. In IAOM-US Connection; 01/17/2017 – Available at https://iaom-us.com/successful-conservative-management-of-an-adolescent-musician-with-a-rare-occurrence-of-true-neurogenic-thoracic-outlet-syndrome-and-cervical-ribs-a-case-report/
- Stump MD, Sizer PS, Brismée JM. Rehabilitation Including Manual Therapy Management Following Complicated Immobilized Radial Head Fracture and Elbow Stiffness: A Case Report. International Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2014;5:498-506. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ijcm.2014.59069